A few days from now, it’s finally getting close to April 3rd my flight to the Philippines, the first country I’ll ever visit. Not for vacation or anything like that, but to study and gain new experiences abroad.
About a week before departure, I already started packing all my clothes. Even a month before April, I made a whole checklist such as what to buy, what I need, and what I’m bringing. I don’t know if it’s because I’m too excited or just scared of forgetting something buttt let’s say it’s because I’m excited.
But honestly, why did I pack so early? Because I know myself. If I wait until the last minute, I’ll panic, get overwhelmed, and probably forget something important. And I reallyyy don’t want that to happen.
March 30th was my last week of classes on campus. I spent more time than usual with my classmates before leaving for a whole month in the Philippines. Normally, I’d go straight home after class, but that day I decided to hang out at a cafe near campus.
We laughed a lot like, really laughed. But deep down I kept thinking "one month is going to feel like a whole year without moments like this. Over there, I’ll be focused on studying and doing my teaching practice"
On Tuesday March 21st, class started as usual with “Research on ELT” taught by Mrs. Irmayani. Everything was going normal until she suddenly said “You guys can start saying goodbye to these three, because this Friday April 3rd, they’re leaving for the Philippines.”
At that moment my feelings were all over the place, happy but also kinda sad. My friends started cheering and joking around. Some of them even asked me to bring back clothes, snacks, and random stuff.
The rest of the class turned into a mix of jokes and laughter until the next session with Mr. Buyun.
Just like before, his class was chill and fun. He also gave support to us who are going to the Philippines and turns out, he’ll be accompanying us too.
The night before Mrs. Irmayani told us that on March 31st, we would visit the rectorate to say our goodbyes before heading to the airport. She reminded us to dress neatly, look presentable, and smell good.
In our heads, we thought it would just be a simple meeting with the rector in his office. But reality had other plans.
After Mr. Buyun’s class ended, we stayed in the classroom like usual playing UNO, singing, or just gossiping. In the middle of all that, someone suddenly said,
“Mrs. Irma fainted.”
The room went completely silent for a few seconds. It felt like everything just paused.
“Are you serious?”
“Stop joking.”
“Where??”
We didn’t believe it at first because she looked totally fine earlier.
“In the next class” he said semester 4’s classroom.
We immediately ran over there. And it was true. Mrs. Irma looked weak, resting her head on the table. There were a lot of people around her. Lecturers and staff going back and forth, bringing water and trying to help.
“Earlier she said she was tired, then held her chest and went quiet. Slowly, she just put her head down on the table” one of the students explained.
We all went quiet. Because we knew she’s not the type to do that, no matter how tired she is.
Not long after, she was taken to the hospital.
In my head, I kept thinking, why does this have to happen right before our departure? She’s supposed to be the one accompanying us to the airport. I felt really uneasy leaving while she was sick.
Then, we heard that she was exhausted after coming back from Umrah in Mecca, plus all the preparation she had been handling for us.
For now, her role is being replaced by Mrs. Anita. She’s helping organize our luggage, suitcases, and souvenirs for the teachers there. Even so, Mrs. Irma is still keeping track of everything from afar

Komentar
Posting Komentar