Where Reality Looked Like a Dream


The journey to San Juan was extremely exhausting even before we arrived, it felt like our energy had been left somewhere along the way. We even gave it a nickname "The Crazy Road"

And honestly, it really lived up to that name. The road felt like an F1 track full of steep climbs, sharp turns, and constant ups and downs. Not gonna lie, the view was absolutely beautiful green hills, trees, and even the sea along the way. As someone who loves nature, I have to admit it was stunning. But the journey itself? A different story.

When it was finally time to go back, and Tatay Edi was still talking, all of us suddenly said at the same time,
“Ahhh… that crazy road again.”

It’s not that we didn’t want to return to Tomas Oppus or San Juan, we really did. We just weren’t ready for that road again. What surprised us even more was that the trip took almost two hours.

We are truly grateful to Tatay Edi for patiently waiting, picking us up, and taking us back safely.

When we arrived at the SLSU Tomas Oppus, Ma'am Leslie and Mr. Clemente were already waiting for us for dinner. Thankfully, Ma'am seemed to understand exactly how we felt. Our exhaustion must have been written all over our faces.

"I know you're tired" she said "so tonight we'll have dinner somewhere nearby, not too far like usual"

On the way, Ma'am Leslie also told us that we were invited to attend a prom night or more precisely, the senior prom for Grade 9 and 10 students on Friday night.

It would be our first time attending a prom, since this kind of event is not part of our culture in Indonesia. She told us to wear dark colored outfits, such as black or grey, since we would be special guests.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we had to wait about 30 minutes, but the dinner truly felt like a reward after such a long and tiring day.

The days passed as usual until finally the day came, our very first prom night.

We wore black outfits. I wore a black kebaya with black pants, and wore grey hijabs. Everything felt both exciting and new.

At first, I thought we would walk from the cottage to the venue(Center) which honestly wouldn't have been a problem, as long as it wasn't too hot. But when we got downstairs near the security post, Ma'am Leslie was already waiting for us with a Tuk-Tuk (similar to what we call a bajaj in Indonesia).

"I don’t want you to walk all the way up there" she said "You are special guests"

Even though walking wouldn't have been an issue, it was a kind gesture. Especially since the area has many stairs, what Sir Ivan jokingly called "the stairs to heaven"




When we arrived, we were amazed by the atmosphere. The decorations were beautiful, and the students were dressed in elegant gowns and suits. They all looked so graceful and confident.

I remember thinking "These are the students I will be teaching soon"

The lecturers and SEA teachers were also wearing stunning gowns. Seeing them made me quietly hope, "Maybe one day, I can wear something like that too" It's something I've dreamed about since I was little.

The event itself was a symbolic moment, where Grade 10 students passed their responsibilities to Grade 9, as they prepared to graduate.

One of the most memorable parts of the night was the dance. They danced to "Golden Brown" by The Stranglers and "Love Story" by Indila 

It touched something very personal in me. Since I was young, I've always imagined being in a scene like that wearing a beautiful gown like princess, dancing gracefully, just like in classic European films set in older times. The elegance, the music, the atmosphere. 

It always felt like a fantasy.

And somehow, that night felt like a small piece of that dream coming true.

Even though I didn’t get to dance, and only watched from the special guests' table, it was still a moment I'll never forget.

Komentar